SIX RIVERS BOCCE CLUB BY-LAWS
DRAFT - May 16, 2014
[These draft By-Laws are being circulated for input purposes. They will not be effective until ratified by a majority of Members at a Club membership meeting]
ARTICLE 1: OFFICES
SECTION 1: PRINCIPAL OFFICE
The principal office and mailing address of the Club, for the transaction of its business will be the physical address of the current Club President.
SECTION 2: CHANGE OF ADDRESS
The principal office and mailing address of the Club will change as the office of the President changes to a new person.
ARTICLE 2: PURPOSES
SECTION 1: OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSES
The primary objectives and purposes of this club shall be:
- To promote the game of Bocce within the community, organize tournaments and league play, and allocate the resources of the Six Rivers Bocce Club for the benefit of its members and the community.
- To educate youth, seniors and others about Bocce, its history and culture.
- To raise funds for courts and park improvements, in support of local community groups, and for other Club purposes.
- To assist with the day to day grooming and minor maintenance of Bocce courts in Humboldt County, and to be a Bocce advocate and consultant to local cities and community service districts.
SECTION 2: ORGANIZATION
The Club is an unincorporated not-for-profit association.
ARTICLE 3: DIRECTORS
SECTION 1: NUMBER OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors shall consist of five or seven members from which a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer will be elected by majority vote of the Directors. Any number of offices may be held by the same person except that the office of the Treasurer and President must be different individuals. The number of Directors may be changed by majority vote at the Annual Meeting.
SECTION 2: QUALIFICATION, ELECTION, AND TERM OF OFFICE
Any Club Member in good standing may serve as a Director of this Club. Directors shall be elected by a majority of Members present at the Annual Meeting held in May. Each Director will serve until the next Election of Directors at the Annual Meeting. There will be no limit in the number of terms any Director may serve.
SECTION 3: REMOVAL AND RESIGNATION
Any Director may be removed, either with or without cause, by a majority vote of the Board of Directors, at any time. Any Director may resign at any time by giving written notice to the President and Secretary of the Club. Any such resignation shall take effect at the date of receipt of such notice or any later date specified therein, and unless otherwise specified therein, the acceptance of such resignation shall not be necessary to make it effective.
SECTION 4: VACANCIES
Any vacancy caused by the death, resignation, removal, disqualification, or otherwise, of any Director shall be filled by a majority vote of the Board present at a meeting specifically called for that purpose. A vacancy may be filled temporarily by appointment by the President until such time as a meeting is convened.
SECTION 5: QUORUM AND DUTIES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors shall control the affairs of the Club and all Club-related activities via a majority vote of the Directors in attendance.
Four Directors shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of conducting business at a properly scheduled and noticed meeting. In the event of a tie vote, the matter shall be tabled or wait until further votes are secured. Directors not in attendance may vote or otherwise have input by proxy.
SECTION 6: DUTIES OF PRESIDENT
The President shall chair all meetings and act as the primary agent for the Club. He or she shall call Club meetings and set the agenda, including requested items by any other Club Director or member.
SECTION 7: DUTIES OF VICE PRESIDENT
In the absence of the President, or in the event of his or her inability or refusal to act, the Vice President shall perform all the duties of the President, and when so acting shall have all the powers of, and be subject to all the restrictions on, the President.
SECTION 8: DUTIES OF SECRETARY
The Secretary shall:
- Certify and keep and make available a copy of these Bylaws as amended or otherwise altered to date.
- Keep, a record of club correspondence and minutes of all club meetings
- Receive and perform correspondence for all club activities.
- Keep a membership book or file containing the name, address and contact information of each member, and, in the case where any membership has been terminated, he or she shall record such fact in the membership book together with the date on which such membership ceased.
SECTION 9: DUTIES OF TREASURER
Subject to the provisions of these Bylaws relating to the "Execution of Instruments, Deposits and Funds," the treasurer shall:
- Have charge and custody of, and be responsible for, all funds and securities of the Club, and deposit all such funds in the name of the Club bank account.
- Receive, and give receipt for, monies due and payable to the Club from any source whatsoever.
- Disburse, or cause to be disbursed, the funds of the Club.
- Keep and maintain adequate and correct accounts of the Club's properties and business transactions, including accounts of its assets, liabilities, receipts, disbursements, gains and losses.
- Exhibit at all reasonable times the books of account and financial records to any member.
- Prepare, or cause to be prepared, and certify, or cause to be certified, the financial statements to be included in any required reports.
SECTION 10: COMPENSATION
The Directors shall receive no compensation for their duties as Directors.
ARTICLE 4: COMMITTEES
SECTION 1: SPECIAL COMMITTEES
The President may appoint Special Committees as it may deem desirable, and such committees shall serve such terms, have such authority, and perform such duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the President.
SECTION 2: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
An Executive Committee comprised of three Officers from the Board of Directors shall be established to expedite Club business matters when time is of the essence.
SECTION 3: ELECTIONS COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee shall create an Elections Committee comprised of two or more Club members who are not running for seats on the Board of Directors. This Committee shall establish the process for elections, distribute information about the candidates and arrange for the voting method and counting of votes in a timely manner before and during the Annual Meeting.
ARTICLE 5: FUNDS RECEIVED/DISBURSED
SECTION 1: CHECKS AND NOTES
Checks disbursing club funds will be signed by the Treasurer, except in the case where the check is for reimbursement to the Treasurer, in which case the check must be signed by the President.
SECTION 2: DEPOSITS
All funds of the club shall be deposited from time to time to the credit of the Club bank account.
ARTICLE 6: CONTRACTING FOR SERVICES
The Club may contract for services from independent contractors, including compensating a League Organizer, Tournament Coordinator, Financial Management and other services which the Board shall approve. If a Contractor is also a Club Director, their checks shall be signed by a different Officer or Director.
ARTICLE 7: MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 1: MEMBERSHIP
Membership in the Club is achieved by applying for membership and paying annual membership dues as set by the Board of Directors.
SECTION 2: MEMBERSHIP YEAR
The Membership Year runs from May 1st through April 30th of the following year.
ARTICLE 8: MEETINGS
SECTION 1: BOARD MEETINGS
Meetings of the Board of Directors will be called by the President on an as needed basis but, at a minimum, must be held at least quarterly. An agenda, with meeting times and location, for each meeting, must be forwarded to all Directors, via email or phone contact, a minimum of 2 days prior to the meeting.
SECTION 2: MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
The President must hold an annual Membership meeting each May. Other Membership meetings may be held as needed. An agenda, with meeting times and location, for each meeting, must be forwarded to all members, via email or phone contact a minimum of 7 days prior to the meeting.
ARTICLE 9: AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
Amendment to these bylaws must be approved by a majority vote of Members present at a meeting called for such purpose. All members must be notified, by telephone, e-mail, mail or in person a minimum of 7 days prior to the meeting.
Club Members are invited to provide feedback on these Draft By-Laws. Please use the Comments section below.